Sunday 2 December, 2007

One hell of a process called SUMMERS @ IIMB!!

Well.... How do I start??.. hmmm.. Let me start by saying that had I not been here, I would never have applied to 110 companies!.. not in the whole of my life!!... here I did it in less than 3 weeks flat.. Resume uploads, SOPs, Motivation letters and what not!

Summer Placements at IIM Bangalore would easily top the richest experiences of my life... well.. at least as things stand today!... man!.. 250+ students placed in 4 (..and a quarter may be) days flat... Hats off to Placecom... What an incredible job!

The second year guys who were the trackers presented yet another amazing job.. I salute the guy who developed the whole process.. some brains he would have had.. at any point in time, trackers could exactly know where each first year person was... that is some process i would say!!...

Yours truly managed to crack his summers with a firm called Ocwen Financials.. God Willing this summer I would travel to the US to work for them. Life definitely has taken a turn I guess now.. I hope it is for the better!

Many of my friends into finance jobs. A few into consulting and very very few or none into marketing. This is not to say that no one takes up maketing jobs. It is such an awesome field. Just that all of my close buddies seem to have got into either Fin or consult jobs. That is like a trend. Herd mentality.. group behaviour.. whatever you might want to call it....

Hmm.. when I am able to open blogger and type in a few lines.. it feels so nice.. possibly I should have done this right after the summer placements.. coz more details of emotions, processes and whatever else ... have long been buried under the renewed weight of surprise quizzes, assignments, presentations, blah blah blah..

Ok then... cya people.. The watch says 2:56 am Dec 03, 2007. I might get back to studying.. or may be sleeping ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Seems ur life is full upto the brim with iim-b,congrats on the summer internship,did u really apply to all those cos....guess iimites do have more on their plates than they can eat...so,tell me more abt iimb and ur first yr courses.also,ur take on y most it professionals like urslf jumping into finance

Cherian said...

harsh, you essentially apply to companies that you are interested in.. for summers very unlikely that you would have a good notion of where you want to go unlike final placements by when you are focussed.. so you most probably would apply to all companies.. some other things which cannot be discussed on a public forum like this also apply! :D... anyways.. taking up finance is a personal thing.. if you ask me why IT guys take up finance.. i would ask "Do they?".. but yes.. there is a general trend in B School campuses towards taking up finance or consulting jobs just because they pay you pretty well.. but it is a different story how many of these grads actually stick to their jobs for more than an year.. so it is each person's call which industry they want to get into.. some people are actually very focussed and are seen going against the general trend.. but.. yes that is difficult and rare